Our Chiropractor in Toronto Offers Natural & Non-Invasive Herniated Disc Treatment
If you're having burning or radiating pain and dysfunction in an arm or leg, with or without back pain, you may be experiencing a disc herniation. Our chiropractor in Toronto provides natural herniated disc treatment which insightfully addresses the contributing factors so his patients find effective and long-lasting relief.
What is a Herniated Disc?
Intervertebral discs are necessary for shock absorption and spinal mobility. Your disc is analogous to a jelly donut: a flat round structure with a soft gel-like substance on the inside. If the tough outer edge of the disc tears, this inner substance can leak out. This is called a disc herniation.
Symptoms of a Disc Herniation
Because intervertebral discs are relatively poorly innervated, it's not necessarily the discs themselves that cause pain. Rather, it's the way a herniated disc may encroach upon or affect other nearby connective tissue structures, especially a spinal nerve root, which can lead to common signs and symptoms such as:
- Numbness, pain, tingling, and weakness in an arm or leg (depending on where the herniated disc occurs in the spine)
- Muscle spasm and tenderness over the area of the herniation
- Back pain and stiffness
Disc herniations are generally visible on imaging studies like MRIs. They may also present with radiographic evidence of altered joint alignment. Common reasons for herniated discs include:
- Cumulative effects of poor posture, excessive sitting, or repetitive movements
- Slips and falls, auto accidents, or other acute incidents
- Genetic predisposition
- Advancing age (disc tissue gets less elastic and more susceptible to injury as we grow older)
- The presence of other negative health markers, like cigarette smoking or obesity
How our Toronto Chiropractor Manages Herniated Discs
Toronto chiropractor Dr. Brian Dower most often sees herniated discs in the cervical spine and lumbar spine, but can occur anywhere in the back. Herniated disc treatment is completely individualized with careful attention paid to not only symptoms, but also posture, occupation, lifestyle, and personal and family history.
Common services which are most effective for natural relief and healing include:
- Lifestyle counseling, to educate you on postures to avoid and exercises to build core stability
Contact Our Chiropractic Clinic in Downtown Toronto ON Today
Contact the office of Dr. Brian Dower, conveniently located in downtown Toronto ON, at (416) 920-7275 to schedule your initial appointment!